Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mad-Hatter Libs #1

Choose your words wisely, dear writer. We took the opening lines to some of our favorite children’s books, removed a few words, then asked children to replace them (noun for noun, body part for body part) with their own words…Mad Libs-style. Here are the results:

“Where’s Aunt Evie going with that booger?” said Weeping Willow to her mother as they were setting the loveseat for breakfast.
- from Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White

Froggy Welsh the Two-and-a-Half is trying to get up my sock.
This is the third Monday that he’s come over to my tunnel after school. Every week we go a little further, and today, on September forty-ninth at 3:17 p.m., he’s begun inching his earlobes across my tongue and toward my retainer.
- from The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

My name is Afghanistan Opal BacoBits, and last summer my daddy, the garbage man, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some purple rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a duckbilled platypus.
- from Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Zack Freeman woke out of a deep sleep to see his butt perched on the ledge of his bedroom window.
- from The Day My Butt Went Psycho! by Andy Griffiths
(Gotcha! We didn’t change a singe word in this one.)

Key: Aunt Evie=Papa, booger=ax, Weeping Willow=Fern, loveseat=table; Two-and-a-Half=Fourth, sock=shirt, tunnel=apartment, forty-ninth=twenty-third, earlobes=fingers, tongue=stomach, retainer=bra; Afghanistan=India, BacoBits=Buloni, garbage man=preacher, purple=white, duckbilled platypus=dog

No comments: